Monday, August 23, 2010

Wk 4 Reading - Deepest Fear

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous- 
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God. 
Your playing small doesn't serve the world.  There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.  We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.  It is not just in some of us:  it is in everyone, 
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."  
-Marianne Williamson


I found this quote in Ch. 11 (Frameworks for Possibility) in our textbook, and it opened up a world of possibility for me! I have so much fear in my life (which I mentioned in the discussion boards for this week) and this quote identifies the fear, reminds me I am a child of God, and encourages me to be myself without fear! 


I also enjoyed the story in Ch. 11 about a woman named Alice Kahana and the very last thing she ever said to her brother. She has lived the rest of her life vowing to "not say anything that could not stand as the last thing she ever said." What if we thought about each thing we say to another human being as being the last? What would you change about what you say to your friends, family, and even strangers? I would change a lot of conversations I have...I would think more before I speak. What a great lesson to learn! 



7 comments:

  1. One of the hardest things that I think we have to realize is human beings is that we are all a bit odd or strange to someone. That being said, I often fly my freak flag proudly and prominently.

    It truly is a great lesson to learn to never say anything that you might regret. Years ago I decided to live my life this way. I do try to think and listen more than I speak. I too look towards my faith as a bit of guidance and now that I have rule #6 in my repertoire I feel much better about the way I approach situations.
    I actually practiced shining my own light today with a colleague who was a bit stressed about her predicament. She said it helped and we're both better for the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbie,
    I loved that quote by Marianne Williamson as well, and almost used it! (Again we are on the same wavelength!) :) Fear can limit us like nothing else (and I speak from experience)! "Cast your anxiety on Him, for He cares for YOU! " 1 Peter 5:7

    I totally agree with your statement, "What if we thought about each thing we say to another human being as being the last? What would you change about what you say to your friends, family, and even strangers? I would change a lot of conversations I have...I would think more before I speak. What a great lesson to learn! "
    It IS a great lesson to learn, and one that will enrich everyone's lives!!
    I have no doubt, Abbie, that you are a "shining light" who has grown even brighter from all you have learned and experienced this year! May you continue to grow even bolder and brighter...... Your warmth and light have touched me in a significant way, and I cherish your friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Abbie.
    I wrote my reflection on the same subject. That quote is truly amazing. I think that the world would be in an overall better state if everyone lived by this quote. I will be the first to admit that it is very hard to do. I have been trying to do so every since every since I read this quote. I am a very nice, but opinionated person. I feel like everyone should be respected. I have been trying to word my opinions in a better way. I want to make a difference by what I say. I agree with Kathy, you are awesome and I am pretty sure that you have grown a lot by reading this book. I know I have.

    -Quinn Brown

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abbie,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post. It was extremely enlightening ☺. Many years ago, I read a quote by Mother Teresa that changed my entire perspective on my interactions with others (I believe I shared this quote before). But I love it so much I am going to share it again. She said, “Spread love everywhere you go; first of all in your house. Give love to your children, to your wife or husband, to a next door neighbor. Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile.” I believe if we did this, we would never have any regrets. Besides, in the downward spiral world we live in, why not brighten it up by leaving those we interact with feeling better about life and themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me. How wrong that statement is ! Once our words have left our mouths they can never be taken back. We can apologize for our verbal barbs and mistakes, but their emotional impact can linger for years to come. It's better to think before we speak before we do damage that cannot be undone.
    I agree with you Abbie, if we chose our words as if they were the last we were to ever speak, the world would be a kinder, gentler place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abbie,
    I also loved the Marianne Williamson quote. It was enlightening and eye opening to think of living everyday with that quote in mind. I was also touched by the story about Alice. Since my aunt passed away this week, I kept thinking about the last thing I said to her. She was over for my birthday and as she was getting ready to leave, I hugged her, thanked her, and said goodbye. I felt happy with my last words and actions. I know my aunt loves me and knows I love her. There is no better feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abbie -
    It takes a lot to talk about your fears especially on blogs and discussion boards so for you to do that is really cool. The quote you used reminded me of a MercyMe song entitled "Who am I" with a portion of the lyrics basically saying who am I that you would care to know my name that its not because of what I have done but who You are that makes me. Keep facing your fears head on with the strength of Him and charge forward with reckless hope and trust.

    ReplyDelete